From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2016 17:46:40 -0400
From: "Griffin, Tom - Oxford" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 13:06:23 +0000

Hello all -

I am writing from Wiley regarding the fake DOI document that was posted
online. Wiley does not use fake DOIs. We strongly support the DOI system
and were a founding member of CrossRef, the primary registration agency for
DOIs. What was contained in the document were URLs. These URLs are not
discoverable online, they cannot be indexed or placed onto databases and
will not have an impact on the DOI system. Only individual IP addresses
were affected, no institutions were banned from accessing Wiley content. We
also do not use these URLs to trap crawlers on Wiley Online Library. All
access has now been restored and clicking on those links will no longer
disable access. The URLs are a security measure visible only to Wiley and
our customers’ security officers, and we do not know how they came to be
known more widely. But again, we can assure you, these are not fake DOIs.

Tom Griffin, External Communications, Wiley