From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2019 19:41:31 -0400
From: Brian Simboli <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 09:30:40 -0400

Some questions, if I may.

1.  Has anyone collected current data about author charges imposed across
STEM areas to publish one's manuscript **non-open access**?

So much of the focus appears to be on APCs defined as charges to
publish one's article OA, but what of traditional author charges for*
non-OA *(toll access) publication?  If memory serves, years ago I talked to
someone in earth sciences who heard about APCs but said, well, we've always
been paying to publish!  If that is true, again, what are the current
trends in author charges for non-OA publishing of articles--not just for
color illustrations or plates, but also merely to publish one's article
shorn of any such enhancements?

Also: of those journals that are not entirely OA but that offer an author's
choice to publish OA at a fee, what proportion of them also have author
charges if they don't exercise the OA option? That is, cases of hybrid
journals, to which OA charges are* superadded* to already existing
"traditional" author charges?

(I'm avoiding use of terminology like "gold publishing", given the usual
terminological complexity that attends such terms.)

It does seem like traditional author charges just to publish toll access
don't get much attention, and they should, if we're to fully grasp the
economic complexities of journal publishing.

2.  Re. APC's,  I noticed the claim here

https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2019/06/19/guest-post-do-authors-have-any-power-over-publishers/

that "APCs are already rising faster than inflation when fully open access
journals make up around 15-20% of the market for journals or articles, so
imagine what could happen if demand was increased further by Plan S-style
mandates."

In my view, if true, there are absolutely no surprises there. After all,
there was never any reason why the pricing of APCs would not reflect the
price dynamics of toll access publishing. Anyhow, assuming that there is
inflationary pressure in APCs, are there similar inflationary pressure to
impose charges on authors for non-OA publication of their articles (in the
way described above)?

3. Am I right that the term APC is used across the industry *solely* for OA
publication of articles, and not more "traditional" author charges? It
appears to be the case.

Thanks

--

Brian Simboli
Science, Mathematics, and Psychology Librarian