From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 18:49:27 -0400
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 20:18:29 -0400

I know this discussion is specifically about licensing language, but
Winston's comment about Fair Use brings to mind the underlying concept
behind SERU.*

The intent of SERU is to provide an alternative to a license.  It
strives for clarity between the parties and avoids "legalese."  More
importantly, it points back to copyright law for identifying how a
resource may be used.

Although SERU was created in the US with US Copyright Law in mind, we
did envision it being adaptable for use in other countries.  It may
require some tweaking, but there is nothing to prevent a willing
library and publisher from taking SERU and adapting it to their
country's copyright laws.

I would not be surprised if this has already happened, as the SERU
Standing Committee (of which I was a member) has, in the past, fielded
questions from abroad about using SERU.  Perhaps some of the members
of this list may have used it this way and would be able to comment?

*http://www.niso.org/workrooms/seru

Selden
Selden Durgom Lamoureux
SDLinforms