From:
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2017 19:22:51 -0400
From: Robert Kiley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 08:33:08 +0000

Jean-Claude

I understand it the main problem with "predatory journals" is the peer
review or rather, lack of peer review.

One way to solve this might be to move to an open peer review model in
which all reviews are open and signed (as used by Wellcome Open Research,
and many others).  If a "predatory journal" advertises that they offer peer
review, but then cant demonstrate this (by publishing the reviews along
with the names - and ideally ORCID Id's of the reviewers) they will quickly
get found out (and hopefully this will discourage authors form publishing
in such titles).

Publishing peer review reports (with the reviewers name) not only helps to
address the problem being discussed here, but it is also a useful service
for readers.  Anecdotally we are hearing that readers of Wellcome Open
Research papers typically read the review first -- noting who reviewed it -
as a way of determining whether to read the article in full.  And, come to
think of it, this model is what we all tend to use when deciding what films
to go and watch or what music to stream.

Robert

Robert Kiley
Head of Open Research
Wellcome Trust
215 Euston Road, London. NW1 2BE
Tel: 020 7611 8338; Mobile: 07918 160509
ORCID: 0000-0003-4733-2558
Twitter @robertkiley