From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2018 20:05:48 -0500
From: "Smith, Kevin L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 19:19:49 +0000

I am not an anti-trust expert by any means, but I think the answer to this,
and to the same question posed by Rick, is straightforward. The limited
monopoly held by individual authors is not a problem — it is an “innocent”
monopoly, just like my exclusive rights over by house — because it does not
convey market dominance.  The monopolist problem the complaint outlines is
quite different, where a large conglomeration of monopolies over content
are exercised in order to dominate a market and to exclude competition. The
line that is allegedly crossed has to be define within the terms of a
particular market, of course, which is precisely what competition
authorities are charged to do.

Kevin