From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:03:00 -0400
From: Michael Zeoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:44:41 +0000

Sandy,

You brought up Helmut in the last Liblicense discussion too - and he
and I have discussed this since.  His answer to you was generic.
There is more nuance.  The critical points are:

1) Revised Dissertations vs Unrevised Dissertations;

2) University Press revised dissertations vs. those published by non-UPs;

3) We need to distinguish between 'approval sales', i.e. automatically
shipped books (virtually unaffected) vs. orders placed by libraries,
which, for university press titles are far less affected than those
published by non-UPs.

During our discussion then (April 2011 - I know April is the cruelest
month, but what is it with April and Revised Dissertations?), I
studied our sales data and shared the results:

"On average UP titles of all types sold 89 copies. The UP Revised
Dissertations sold an average of 85 copies (*Unrevised* Dissertations
fared much less well selling just 21 copies on average). Non-UP
Revised Dissertations averaged just 39 copies sold (and 9 copies for
Unrevised Dissertations)."

As to whether titles 'hide their patrimony', I'd just say that we have
more than adequate evidence to understand library collecting.
Ultimately though, this discussion can resemble global warming.

I think the more interesting discussions now should focus on how ebook
availability or DDA or new variations arising in DDA via publishers
are affecting content acquisition.  Most UPs are seeing erosion of
print sales.  Depending on their digital strategies and positioning
with partners, some are compensating very nicely.  Others are not.
All of this will have immediate bearing on scholars' ability to
publish, dissertations revised or unrevised, in the future.

Michael

Michael Zeoli
VP, Strategic eContent Development & Partner Relations
YBP Library Services
Contoocook, New Hampshire  03229
http://www.ybp.com