From:
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2017 01:20:39 -0400
From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:36:16 -0400

Toby,

How would you distinguish your model from that of Revues.org known as
"Freemium"? http://lettre-cdf.revues.org/1238

Jean-Claude Guédon

From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 06:08:47 +0000

Hi Arie,

Thanks for your questions.

Yes, I am suggesting a model where services are designed for different
stakeholders and they pay for them.

Your question (why would publishers do this) is good and I often hear it.
My answer is this: the margins publishers enjoy today are under pressure,
especially from policy makers and customers. Eventually, this pressure will
win. So, as a publisher, what to do? Wait, milk and delay change for as
long as possible? Or move first, grabbing a PR bonus and a head start on
the competition?

Now, to your second question. Readers. In an unbundled world, I can see
three types of reader. The largest group with be individuals who are
satisfied with the free, read-only version; they pay nothing. The next
largest group will be those at large institutions (universities, companies
etc) and their employer might purchase premium versions, on annual
subscription, on their behalf because there is value in the utility of the
premium features. Then there will be some who need the utility of the
premium versions but are not at a subscribing institution - they will
pay-as-they-go (like buying a book today).

Best,
Toby

Toby Green
Public Affairs and Communications Directorate
OECD
Winner The Academic and Professional Publisher Award 2017