From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2017 20:10:11 -0400
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 09:10:29 -0700

The Chronicle of Higher Education today has results of an extensive survey
of University Press leaders and others on the vexed future of that
community.  The following link takes you to the landing page for the
feature, but that comprises only a list of links to sub-topics, most of
which are paywalled.  Worth an exploration if you have access.  Their
introduction:  "We asked publishers, press directors, editors, scholars,
and other insiders for their views on the state and future of academic
publishing. Of the people we contacted, including the heads of nearly every
one of the Association of American University Presses’ 143 members, 46 sent
back responses to our questions. We got back a surprisingly wide range of
views — and good ideas on how university presses are preparing for an
uncertain future."

At the end of a quarter century of attending meetings and reading articles
discussing the crisis in University Press publishing, I observe that for
there to be still 143 players standing in that space suggests that
​*something* is working.  There must be some smart people doing some good
work.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU​