From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2016 20:24:16 -0400
From: "Seeley, Mark (ELS-CMA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 01:27:25 +0000

As far as I can tell, the complaints against the PWC report amount to
how terrible the educational textbook market is globally (which is
true, but Canada is worse), and the timing of copyright law decisions
in Canada vs the copyright law changes made in 2012-- but I think the
two are highly related and the statutory changes reflect the (poorly
reasoned) prior decisions.  Finally someone says that that the
Canadian educational exception is the same as US fair use law-- that
is wrong as well given the US is still based on individual fact-based
judicial determinations (based on the four factors), not a blanket
exception.

I think the PWC report has plenty of clear facts and evidence, and
there is no real significant dispute that licensing revenues for the
sector is down enormously.  That's a very clear fact that I don't
think anyone can dispute.

When I gave the reference for the PWC report I was very clear that it
came from Access Copyright-- so a clear disclosure.  I have no idea
what the Trump reference below means.

Best,
Mark

Mark Seeley, Senior Vice President & General Counsel
Elsevier
 : Direct: +1 (781) 663-2241; Mobile: +1 (781) 354-4429

From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 18:35:19 -0400

This article is not terribly surprising. In fact, the reverse would
have been amazing. Nicole Saint-jean is the very militant president of
the Association Nationale des Éditeurs de Livres (National Association
of Book Editors) in Québec. They have fought the extensions of Fair
dealing in Canada with teeth and nails.

As for the reaction from Mark Seely (Elsevier) quoting a report paid
for by Access Copyright, I find it quite amusing: Access Copyright "is
a collective voice of creators and publishers in Canada."
(https://www.accesscopyright.ca/about-us/). Someone from Elsevier
quoting Access Copyright is a bit like Mrs Trump quoting her husband.
Not terribly convincing, folks...

Incidentally, what these people are complaining about is essentially
Canada moving its fair deal provision closer to the US fair use
provision, particularly for the educational sector.

Jean-Claude Guédon