From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2017 18:16:00 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 10:28:02 +0100

Dear Jim

I think lawsuits did have  success with Pirate Bay and similar. Maybe
these sites are just as worrying to publishers as they once were just
not mentioned as much but others can tell us. Once a judgement has
been given notice and takedown are given (extra) backing. I know that
in the UK the PA’s copyright and infringement portal has had a lot of
success: https://www.publishers.org.uk/activities/copyright-ip/preventing-piracy/.

Anthony

*******

From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 12:35:03 -0700

First Elsevier, now the American Chemical Society, seeing Elsevier's
success, files suit against offshore malefactors.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2017/june/acs-files-suit-against-sci-hub.html

The question this raises in my mind is, why do these large and
powerful organizations think it's worthwhile filing and winning these
suits.  Their lawyers and the process cost them a fair packet, while
the malefactors revel in their ability to escape the long arm of the
law.  Suggests to me there's a deeper game going on.  Worth doing all
this to make a careful show of protecting their rights against future
malefactors who may be within reach?  I would be glad to be
instructed.

Jim O'Donnell

Arizona State