From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2019 19:26:52 -0400
From: "Hinchliffe, Lisa W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 19:25:07 +0000

Earlier this week, Roger Schonfeld and I published an analysis of this
Springer Nature/ResearchGate pilot:

Diverting Leakage to the Library Subscription Channel

We have been impressed with the range of the feedback. From publishers
concerned about the negative implications of this syndication model on
their business (
https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2019/07/16/diverting-leakage-to-subscription/#comment-83396)
to librarians contemplating that this arrangement may violate the terms of
license agreements (
https://twitter.com/CopyrightLibn/status/1151464829141389312) as well as
librarians wondering how usage might be reported to them - it is clear this
is a topic of strategic interest.

Syndication is an important and likely continuing development, and we
expect to continue to write about this issue. We are eager to hear further
feedback and perspectives from the scholarly communications community and
welcome further thoughts.

Best, Lisa

--

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
Professor/ Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction