From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2018 19:47:10 -0500
From: "Miller, Erin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 23:15:40 +0000

Forty-First National Media Market to Convene in *Austin, TX*!

The *41st National Media Market and Conference (NMM)* will open on
Sunday, *October
21st, 2019, to run for 4 days in Austin, Texas*. The nonprofit, boutique
event is the only one dedicated to bringing together librarians who collect
and manage film with film distributors, streaming platforms, and other
media companies for commerce and knowledge.

“This will be our first time in Austin, as far as I know,” stated NMM Chair
and Marketing Coordinator Jeff Tamblyn “and everyone on our board of
directors — comprised of librarians and exhibitors — is excited to make the
trip. Austin’s position as a hub for independent film makes this a special
opportunity for us.”

For librarians, educators and others who purchase and license content, the
Market offers a uniquely collegial atmosphere. Erin Miller, who serves as
Head of Media & Discovery Park Libraries, University of North Texas, said,
“National Media Market provides a much-needed focus on the skills and
knowledge of our particular library discipline. Whether your media
responsibilities are full-time or part-time, what you learn and gain access
to provides a huge boost in productivity and will keep you from making
mistakes that can cost your institution. For me, it’s an easy decision to
attend.”

Alex Hoskyns-Abrahall, who performs dual executive roles at Bullfrog Films
and Docuseek2, remarked, “Once vendors understand what they truly gain in
terms of relationships, knowledge, and up-to-the-minute intelligence about
our industry, they want to return as often as possible. Bullfrog and
Docuseek2 go to a lot of conferences, but NMM is a centerpiece of our
marketing and sales picture. We’ve attended the Market every year since it
started.”

Known for its active social life, NMM also organizes evening activities
that bring attendees together with vendors for fun and networking.

NMM’s newest ‘side-project,’ the Academic Libraries Video Trust (ALVT), has
also drawn attention by creating a cooperative, cloud-based repository of
digital files from VHS-based content that qualifies for copying under
Section 108 of U.S. Copyright Law. Originally funded by the late deg
farrelly, a highly respected media librarian, ALVT will hold a users’ group
session annually at the Market, beginning in Austin. “We’ll announce the
details shortly,” said Tamblyn, “but librarians from ALVT member
institutions are going to qualify for significant registration discounts to
this year’s Market.”

Whole-event passes to NMM will sell for $349, and for $249 during the
Early-Bird registration period. They’ll include a welcome reception, buffet
lunches, all professional development sessions, and access to exhibitor
suites. The main location is the Embassy Suites Austin Central.

Further information and a complete schedule of events will be posted as it
becomes available at nmm.net. Interested potential exhibitors and attendees
are welcome to contact directly NMM Chair Jeff Tamblyn [log in to unmask]

Further information about the Academic Libraries Video Trust is available
at videotrust.org.

Contact: NMM Chair Jeff Tamblyn [log in to unmask] or 913 219 6533

Erin DeWitt Miller

University of North Texas Libraries

Head, Media & Discovery Park Libraries