From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:48:05 -0400
From: "Fallon, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 23:19:05 +0000

Definitely notable Charles and the Fulcrum platform at the University of
Michigan Press is something for all publishers to aspire toward!

If I may, Ann, I’d like to add to this thread the recently announced launch
of our new University Press Library eBook Collection
<https://www.degruyter.com/dg/page/2001> from De Gruyter.  These 2020 eBook
collections are the result of a five-year pilot project
<https://www.degruyter.com/dg/page/2003> working with thirteen academic
libraries, three university presses and consortia on how to create a
sustainable eBook model that allows for the acquisition of complete digital
collections of unlimited-use and DRM-free titles with perpetual access and
no ongoing fees.  De Gruyter represents each partner in our University
Press Library individually and does not aggregate the content to be sold.
This positioning allows the library to assess, evaluate and gain insights
into the makeup and merits of each university press on its own.

Our position as an international publishing house supporting global
distribution of university press content since 2012 has been a unique one
where we have been able to participate first-hand as partner and publisher
in the challenges of eBook acquisitions.  Whether it is the groupings of
presses from AUP (1-4) or the research intensity at academic libraries or
the varying degree of services, rights and formats available from
aggregators, the ecosystem as a whole is quite complex and requires the
skills of a seasoned conductor at the press or library to optimize results.

The UPL Collection is just one option that contributes to this ecosystem
and we are very excited that we get to share the outcome of our project
with the scholarly publishing community in 2020.  In addition, we look
forward to sharing our results and best practices from the pilot in greater
detail once it officially concludes at the end of this calendar year.

Best regards,
Steve

*Vice President, Americas and Strategic Partnerships*

DE GRUYTER

121 High Street, Third Floor

Boston, MA 02110, USA

Office +1 (617) 377-4392

Mobile + 1(646) 492-1346

www.degruyter.com

From: Charles Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 08:39:43 -0400

Dear Ann,

You may disagree that it is a "major" ebook collection, because University
of Michigan Press is a smaller publisher and it is only comprehensive since
2011, but the University of Michigan Press Ebook Collection
<https://www.fulcrum.org/michigan> is DRM-free. Like parts of Bloomsbury,
we have also been concentrating on multimedia enrichment, which is why we
run our own platform. MIT Press and Duke University Press also have their
own, DRM-free, collections of course. But perhaps this is less notable
because we are all non-profit publishers and have been distributing
DRM-free ebooks via Muse and JSTOR (and more recently EBSCO, ProQuest) for
years. We've tried to offer our ebooks in the UMP EBC collection via GOBI
but there is a waiting list and EBSCO says they won't get to us for a year
or more. They are starting with the big players.

Charles

--

Charles Watkinson

Director, University of Michigan Press

Associate University Librarian, Publishing

University of Michigan Library

839 Greene Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104-3209

(office) 734 936 0452, (mobile) 609 933 2410

https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9453-6695

*My pronouns are he / him / his*

The University of Michigan Press Ebook Collection is now live:
https://www.fulcrum.org/michigan