From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:21:25 -0400
From: "Uhlinger, Eleanor (CIV)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 19:22:13 +0000

I have been having a distressing negotiation with a small publisher who is
not willing to change standard licensing terms in his contract to comply
with requirements for US federal contracts and licenses.  I understand that
small publishers do not necessarily have Counsel on retainer but there are
core terms we simply cannot abide with in a basic license.

As it turns out, that publisher's content is also on an aggregator's
platform so I informed the publisher I was calling off negotiations and
would access the content from the aggregator's platform.

The publisher then asked for a copy of my license with the aggregator,
which I declined to provide, and reminded him that his publication sets
terms with the aggregator and the aggregator sets terms with licensees.

Now publisher is telling our subscription agent he will not activate our
subscription period until he has an individual license with us.

To which I replied  "Cancel! AND, by the way, we do not want it in print
either"

Now I am very curious  -- have others experienced this?

Eleanor

Eleanor S. Uhlinger, University Librarian
Dudley Knox Library, Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey CA  93943
Phone:  831-656-2343
Dudley Knox Library:  http://www.nps.edu/Library/
Copyright at NPS: http://libguides.nps.edu/copyright/