From:
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2013 19:54:36 -0400
From: Richard Poynder <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:04:25 +0100

I have posted a further Q&A in the series I have been doing exploring the
current state of Open Access. This one is with Björn Brembs, Professor of
Neurogenetics at the University of Regensburg in Germany.

Brembs, who self-characterises himself as a “disgruntled user of a
dysfunctional scholarly communication system”, believes it is time for the
research community to take ownership of the scholarly communication system
back from publishers, and build a “modern scholarly infrastructure”.

How does he envisage that being done?

“I propose that a small set of competent and motivated libraries with large
subscription budgets and substantial faculty support cooperate in taking
the lead. This group of libraries would shift funds from subscriptions to
investing in developing infrastructure and other components for a
library-based scholarly communication system.”

The Q&A can be read here:

http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/bjorn-brembs-on-state-of-open-access.html

Richard Poynder