From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 22:21:14 -0400
From: Jean-Claude Guédon <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:46:17 -0400

**
Thank you for this useful digest of a complex discussion.

Just one point where I fully agree with Stevan Harnad: libraries should not
choose preferentially to cancel green journals; after all, green journals
are being more or less cooperative in accepting to fall under the green
label (I will leave aside the various green flavours). On the other hand,
journals that refuse any collaboration with the green strategy, i.e. that
refuse any form of self-archiving or impose unreasonable embargoes, could
be usefully targeted. That ought to help the green strategy quite a bit.

I realize that some of these recalcitrant journals may be highly desirable
from the researchers' perspective, but that would open the possibility of a
useful, pedagogic, dialogue between librarians and researchers. The latter,
let us remember, ignore (and often remain intent on ignoring) the pain of
licence prices.

Jean-Claude Guédon