From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2014 18:47:24 -0500
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 15:58:15 +0000

As has been noted, Nature Communications stopped taking non-OA
submission on 20th October.  After that date everything submitted and
accepted will be Open Access.  Some of those pre-20 October, non-OA
submissions will take time to go through the review/revise/publish
process and they will not appear until 2015 - so Nature Communications
will still be a hybrid journal until some point in the New Year when
the last pre-20 October paper is published.  Nature wants to charge
subscribers for the non-OA material published in 2015.

I have sympathy with that position.  What I find odd is what Nature is
charging.  For the UK the subscription price of Nature Communications
in 2015 will be a few percent higher than the price in 2014.  I know
the journal is growing, but Communications is a relatively rapid
publication journal.  The vast majority of pre-20 October non-OA
papers will be published in the first half of next year.  It is hard
to believe that Nature Communications will publish more non-OA content
in 2015 that in 2014 - it may in fact be significantly less.  But the
price is going up.

Shirley raises the interesting issue of the non-OA archive.  Now that
the journal is moving to fully-OA I I would think that it makes sense
to open the whole archive and make the non-OA papers retrospectively
OA.  Would any library that has subscribed to Nature Communications
over the past five years object to that?  I suppose that Nature may
lose some pay-per-view revenue, but I imagine that would be a
decreasing amount over time?

David

On 4 Nov 2014, at 00:06, LIBLICENSE