From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2018 18:03:19 -0500
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:58:13 +0000

There is a massive jump from a question about a specific sales channel to
an assertion about all sales channels.  But I think we all understand the
rhetorical intent behind the jump.

OA does not give a free pass to corporate entities - maybe it is different
in the US, but certainly in the UK there is a significant amount of funding
for research coming from industry.  Smaller than from government grants
certainly, but UK university finance directors would dispute Joe's claim
that they 'little or no part' in financing research.

But even if they did have a free pass, would governments be concerned?  If
you read what governments say about why they fund universities and the
research that they do there is a lot about supporting industry and
innovation, economic security, encouraging start-ups and small and medium
enterprises.  (See, for example, the UKRI Vision, Mission, and Values page
-
https://www.ukri.org/about-us/strategic-prospectus/vision-mission-and-values/).
 If that is a major driver for pumping billions into research then open
access isn't a free pass but a key enabler.

David
Vision, Mission and Values - UK Research and Innovation
<https://www.ukri.org/about-us/strategic-prospectus/vision-mission-and-values/>
www.ukri.org
Vision, Mission and Values. Human civilisations have been shaped by their
ability to generate and use knowledge. Knowledge is a cultural good and
applying it wisely is vital to our health, wealth, wellbeing and resilience.

From: JJE Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 20:01:15 -0500

David Prosser said: "I don’t think that I know of any academic librarian
who believes 'that they are the only customers for peer-reviewed research
material’.  We obviously talk to different people."

I was responding to the comment on this very thread:

"Can you point to purchasers of "big deal" packages other than
academic/research libraries?"

The ten-year-old data that Prosser cites may still be true today. I simply
don't know. My own sample comes from organizations with which I have
worked. A generalization: organizations with the most diversified revenue
streams have the highest operating margins.

I believe my point holds: OA gives a free pass to organizations, many of
which are commercial entities (and some of which are among the very
largest), that have little or no role in the financing of the underlying
research.

Joe Esposito