From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:00:34 -0400
From: Zac Rolnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:44:42 -0400

Dear Wilhelmina,

I think that individuals who really want the content will buy it for
exactly the reasons you state -- they want the most current and
complete version and don't look for pirated copies.  I definitely
believe that libraries do not want to deal in pirated copies, but I
may be wrong.  There are individuals who will find the pirated copies
and download them, even knowing they are illegal copies, who would
never have bought the proper version.  And I agree that the pirated
version is an advertisement for future issues, not an encouragement to
buy a replacement of the ILLEGAL version they took off the web.

Specifically to your reference to now publishers, each one of our
issues is a commissioned review/survey of a major topic in the
literature written by experts in their field who have made important
contribution to their field of research.  We pay our authors, we pay
our reviewers, we copyedit, typeset and include reference linking in
each contribution.  This costs us money -- lots of money -- and piracy
does have a negative impact on our business. In addition, we allow
authors to retain copyright allowing them to deposit on their
institutional repository, etc.  We were one of the first publishers to
participate in SERU, our license agreement is one of the most liberal
in the business including unlimited concurrent usage, unlimited
downloads and perpetual access with no annual maintenance fees, and we
have made every effort to comply with current library standards.
While we are a commercial entity, we are try to do well by doing good
and if you ask any of our authors or editors I think they will agree.

As I stated earlier we do not have the resources to effectively fight
piracy and we hope the scholarly communications community realizes the
cost to small publishers and continues to support our efforts.  Thank
you for the opportunity to explain myself.

Zac Rolnik
now publishers