From:
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2012 22:04:48 -0400
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 13:58:54 +0100

Joe

Research university X already gives away its intellectual property and
then spends much more than non-research universities in buying access
to the intellectual property of other research universities.  Where's
the strategic thinking there?

And of course, a lot of the research done isn't paid for by the
universities themselves - it's paid for by research funders such as
NIH in the US and the Research Councils in the UK.  For the NIH to
ensure that NIH-funded researcher in University N has access to
research outputs generated by NIH-funded researcher at University M
looks to me the epitome of strategic thinking.

David