From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:37:46 -0400
From: "Hamaker, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 00:31:52 +0000

Thanks for responding Rick.  I wonder how far you've worked  through
the cultural changes implied of the library and the campus?

BI  and article provision become much more complex, as the question
isn't do we have access from a bibliographic database to a
subscription.It is not as if a good open url resolver can tell you
where to find an green OA article version. The normal alternative  is
ILL if there's' no version  immediately available to the user.

If the default to no subscription is ILL normally-- in our case for
both students and faculty -is the library (the whole public facing
library) ready to help people find the article other ways and suggest
to  them that's sufficient?

Do you set a yearly limit on the number of library paid Document
delivery articles per user/per status?

And how does ILL know whether to reference the "free" version or buy
the publisher version if they become the "finder" for the campus?
What's the decision tree look like for ILL?

Or that matter for acquisistions/collection development.  Once you
sets an acceptable CPU how soon do individuals on campus learn what it
is and shoot the moon so to speak to protect their favorite journals?

. Using a Bibliographic Database to identify might be even more
important than it is now, as finding something on the web can be an
exercise in futility if that's where the search begins. To actually
retrieve an article Public service librarians will have to teach a
separate process, with all sorts of caveats such as latest version,
corrected version, withdrawn version-to just name a few.

. Faculty guiding students to how to do research in their field are
another issue Have you considered a program to inform the campus that
asking students to use articles from peer reviewed journals will be
significantly different and convince faculty that an OA green article
is sufficient for most needs, as  i assume it must be if you implement
this full force?

Can anyone, student or researcher really write an acceptable  paper
citing the non publisher version, which is all the writer might have
access to?--(especially the night before the paper is due?)

Will faculty accept such cited Green OA articles in papers students
turn in, in Master's theses, in Dissertations. Will the upcoming PH.D.
just fake the citation? You might be saying,  (and I might be
misrepresenting your position, so feel free to correct me) well we
have to cite the publisher's article, but we don't have to read that
version.

I think your proposal would demand an enormous range of actions and
acquiescence and agreement from a wide swath of the campus. I haven't
read how you plan to engineer that. I'd be interested in hearing how
you intend to change cultural and scholarly literature practices and
preferences to do what you are suggesting.

This above is free association. just off the top of my head and
certainly not as logically organized as you and Stevan Harnad write.
But I think they are legitimate concerns, however poorly expressed.
I'm sure there are more for such a radical departure.

Regards
Chuck Hamaker