From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 05:44:18 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:09:31 +0000

Toby,

I think the Freemium model as you have implemented it is fascinating and
there is lots to learn from it in terms of generating profile and usage for
content. The tricky thing for publishers to weigh up is whether it will
work in the same way for other content that is less data-heavy than the
OECD’s.

What I don’t get, is the direct relevance to the OA debate, at least not as
it is currently formulated. It’s central to the principle of OA that
content be free at the point of use (Freemium deals with that, to an
extent), but beyond that the goal is to shift the flow of money from paying
for access to paying for content to be published. I don’t see how Freemium
changes that, because your assumption is that some users, and above all
institutions, will continue to pay for enhanced access.

Unless I’m missing something here, that’s an important reason why I suspect
Freemium might struggle to find acceptance among funders and policy makers
as an alternative to Green or Gold OA as currently defined.

Best wishes

*Ben Ashcroft *Vice President, Sales & Marketing

DE GRUYTER

Genthiner Straße 13

10785 Berlin, Germany