From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 23:00:27 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:31:12 -0700

It's really troubling to see all these discussions taking place as
though the only thing that matters is short-term cost and revenue
projections.  Does everyone really think the world does not change
from time to time?  It is simply not in a research university's
interest to support OA, green, gold, or any other flavor.  Most
research is produced at a small number of institutions; OA is in the
interest of organizations (most colleges and universities, the
corporate sector, and government and NGOs) that don't produce the
research.  There is a total absence of strategic thinking here.

So what's the scenario?  Major research university X gives away its
intellectual property and then cuts faculty for lack of funding.
Ridiculous.

Joe Esposito