From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:23:21 -0400
From: "Pilch, Janice T" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 02:27:25 +0000

Getting to messages in reverse- Sandy, this is no longer true.

The 1973 dividing line that previously separated Soviet works that were in
the public domain in the U.S. and copyright-protected in the U.S., based on
UCC membership, is no longer in effect. On January 1, 1996 copyright
restoration went into effect in the U.S. under the Uruguay Round Agreements
Act that required the U.S. to restore copyright to foreign works previously
in the public domain in the U.S. due to lack of national eligibility, and
for other reasons, in compliance with Article 18 of the Berne Convention.
Beginning on that date, vast numbers of Soviet works previously in the
public domain in the U.S. gained copyright protection in the U.S. for the
full U.S. term.

It has been difficult for many scholars of Slavic studies to realize this
and some publishers are still unaware, but it's absolutely the case. Due
diligence involves determining whether the work was protected in the
country of origin on the date that copyright restoration went into effect
for that country- and thus the copyright laws of the post-Soviet nations
comes into play.

I have written extensively on this topic but will point you to the most
recent article which has references to earlier articles- you can find this
in JSTOR among other sources:

Janice T. Pilch, "U.S. Copyright Relations with Central, East European, and
Eurasian Nations in Historical Perspective," Slavic Review, Vol. 65, No. 2
(Summer 2006), pp. 325-348.

This news typically comes as a shock to people but it 's a situation that
has existed for 18 years.

Best,

Janice T. Pilch
Copyright and Licensing Librarian
Rutgers University Libraries
Email: [log in to unmask]

From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 19:08:34 -0500

The USSR didn't join the Universal Copyright Convention until May
1973, so everything Russian from prior to that date can be treated
under our law as being in the public domain.

Sandy Thatcher