From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2024 01:04:19 -0400
From: Jessica Pellien <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 16:12:09 +0000

Hi all –

We’re about midway through our application period for the second year
of *shift+OPEN
– deadline is April 30.* We hope library liaisons and scholarly comms folks
will share this info with editors or editorial offices who may be
interested in flipping from a traditional publication to a diamond open
access publication. shift+OPEN offers a journal- and scholarly-friendly way
to incorporate open access with minimal out of pocket expenses for the
publication. If selected, journals receive:

   - Funding to cover the expenses of transitioning your journal to open
   access model, for a term of up to three years.
   - The MIT Press’s full suite of publishing services, including
   production, marketing, financial management, hosting, abstracting and
   indexing, and manuscript management software.
   - Support for developing a sustainable funding model to keep the journal
   publishing OA beyond the end of the term.

Please see website for additional details:
https://mitpress.mit.edu/shiftopen/

The journals selected for the first year were *European Societies* and
*European
Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology* from the European Sociological
Association, and Lígia Ferro, President of the European Sociological
Association, underscored the MIT Press‘s reputation as a trailblazer in
open access publishing as a pivotal factor in their decision to apply: “The
MIT Press leads the academic publishing field by promoting high-quality
research while using knowledge as a tool to empower individuals and
societies. Our confidence in making the open access transition was
bolstered by the MIT Press’s recent successful journal conversions
like *Imaging
Neuroscience* or *Quantitative Science Studies*. Our firsthand experience
with the Press’s unwavering professionalism and high standards during the
bidding process cemented our decision.”

Thanks for considering and sharing with journals.

Jessica

Jessica Pellien (she/her/hers)

Head of Communications

*The MIT Press*