From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2015 19:54:05 -0400
From: Ann Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM

The librarians in this course were reacting to several things about
the NESLI and publishers' licenses (and certainly many others). They
are by no means alone - I've encountered the problem for years now.
Here's what concerned them:

(1)  A great deal of "technical" vocabulary (words like breach,
damages, fair use, warranties, and more; see:
http://liblicense.crl.edu/resources/licensing-vocabulary/).  Such
vocabulary is useful and important in a contract, and it pretty much
has to be learned.  A lot of the meanings become clear in context and
in negotiations.  Once the definitions are understood, this part of
the problem concern goes away.  But learn one must.

(2) Arcane writing styles, with many quaint "herewiths" and "hereby"
to launch clauses and phrases.  And lots of boilerplate that sounds
like gobbledygook.  We still see a great deal of this, and it's not
necessary.  Licenses can be written in plain, clear language.  Not all
legal boilerplate is essential, simply because it's been there for
some years.  I tell folks in workshops and courses that if they can't
understand a clause, it could well mean that the clause should be
written in more straightforward words; they as customers should
request those clarifications.  I agree with Scott that many
well-meaning contract lawyers need to revisit their language for
clarity.

(3) Language of the contract.  This is tough.  The great majority of
e-resources licenses are written in English, and nearly all the rest
in other primary western languages.  Now, this poses a real challenge
for people whose primary language is NOT one of those languages, or
who are not fluent in same -- which is the case for many in our world.
This puts people in non-Western countries in a difficult (to
impossible) situation.  The terms of use they're being asked to agree
to (or wish to negotiate) may be poorly understood. Many western
publishers have in-country agents to deal with local librarians, but
those agents are not so likely to take time to "educate" their
customers in the nuances of the publishers' contracts, even if the
agents understand them (which they may not).

What can we do about #3, which is a crucial issue?  Are there any
publishers who have experience of working in an array of foreign
languages regarding e-resources contracts?  How do you do it?  Would
like to hear from you, please.

Thank you, Ann Okerson