From:
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2017 07:09:39 -0400
From: "Smith, Kevin L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 13:08:03 +0000

The question of copyright and photographs of public art is complex, which
is probably not a surprise.

One issue, of course, is the copyright in the photograph.  The Directory
deals with that by simply having photographers grant a license for the
Directory when they upload their photos.  The question that remains, then,
is copyright in the underlying work that is photographed, and which, of
course, is the point of the Directory.

I can think of three situations in which permission of the artist would not
be required:

First, if the photograph is of an architectural work, the taking and
distribution of such photos is explicated permitted by section 120 of the
Copyright Act.  The limit on this section, however, is that it is
specifically in reference to the architectural work, and it is doubtful
that it would encompass a photo of a mural painted on the side of the
architectural work.

Second, there might be cases, at least with older works, where
circumstances would lead a court to conclude that the work was published
and therefore in the public domain.  Odd as it sounds, this was the
conclusion in a case about the giant Picasso sculpture in Chicago's Civic
Center Plaza.

Third, there is a fair use argument to be made in favor of the directory.

I wrote about these issues in a blog post in 2013 that might be of
interest, since it addresses these specific arguments and explains some of
the cases involved.  The post is at http://blogs.library.duke.edu/
scholcomm/2013/09/09/public-art-and-fair-use/, and I would call folks
attention to the comments as well, since one of them raises a potential
fourth justification for photographs of public art.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Dean of Libraries
University of Kansas