From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 19:25:58 -0500
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 18:39:20 +0000

I am a lawyer, but not experienced in antitrust, so I can only give a lay
opinion on this particular issue.  But my opinion is that there will be
legal challenges from the legacy publishing industry to any real attempt to
transform scholarly communications.  I would imagine anti-trust will be one
of the avenues considered, although I think that the particular nature of
the market analysis done in an anti-trust action would have risks for
publishers as well, so they might decide to focus on other legal
strategies.  But I think the academic community should make decisions as
responsibly as it can while nevertheless anticipating that there will be
lawsuits. It is hard to imagine commercial publishing interests giving up
the cash cow that is the current model of academic publishing without a
legal fight.

But I would also note that my own objection to the plan that has come out
of Berlin 12 is that it is still focused on paying legacy publishers to
publish journals, just doing so in a different way.  I believe we need to
look beyond APCs, and even beyond the idea of a journal as currently
understood, to see what the future of scholarly communication can be.  So
maybe this proposal is not the one that will draw the legal ire of
commercial publishers; they have, I hope, much greater changes to fear.

Kevin L. Smith
Director, Copyright & Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries