From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2017 09:33:46 -0500
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 10:52:29 -0500

January 27, 2017

To: NASIG members and the associated professional community

In the wake of the recent contentious U.S. Presidential election, many
people have expressed fear that our nation is ripe for an environment
in which diverse views and characteristics are no longer valued. While
our focus as a membership organization is “to advance and transform
the management of information resources,” we cannot forget that this
work is done by individual people who are experiencing a multitude of
emotions right now, and therefore we must also do what we can to
ensure that NASIG remains a space where a diversity of perspectives is
welcomed, but divisive and abusive behaviors are not.

For more than 30 years, NASIG has been an organization dedicated to
creating a community among a diverse group of individuals in the
information chain. We have welcomed individuals from all scholarly
communication perspectives, striving for a shared understanding of our
challenges and goals. Our membership represents many walks of life in
terms of sexual orientation, race, religion, etc., and we honor and
value these varied characteristics in our constituents.

In recent years, injustices and imbalances in our world have been
brought to light in more ways than were available to us before. We
recognize that these are not new, but as we have become more aware of
the impact on our lives and the lives of those around us, we are also
seeing the widening of a divide between individuals.

To that end, we have evolved and expanded our Code of Conduct to
clarify the expectations we have for the behavior of NASIG members not
only at our annual conference, but in other NASIG venues, both
physical and virtual. NASIG does not tolerate discrimination or
harassment in any form.  If any member or conference attendee feels
they are experiencing such in a NASIG-sponsored venue, please contact
a member of the Board immediately so that we can take appropriate
action.

NASIG Code of Conduct -  https://goo.gl/OrFppM

Anna Creech, 2016-17 NASIG President

     on behalf of the 2016-17 NASIG Board

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Established in 1985, NASIG is an independent non-profit organization
working to advance and transform the management of information
resources in all formats and business models. For more information
about NASIG and our member opportunities, please visit
http://www.nasig.org/.