From:
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2014 14:54:42 -0500
From: "Rupp-Serrano, Karen J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:01:39 +0000

Colleagues,

On behalf of a member of my campus community, I recently contacted a
publisher who is offering an API key for text mining.  The publisher
responded with an amendment to our current subscription agreement which
enables all users to

"access the text and data mining service online via an API to
continuously and automatically extract and index and/or process information
from the subscribed products, and load and integrate the results on the
subscriber's text-mining system for access and use by authorized users"

And

"distribute the output externally, which may include a few lines
of query-dependent text of individual full text articles or book
chapters which will be up to a maximum length of 200 characters surrounding
and including the text entity matched ('snippets') or bibliographic
metadata.  Where snippets and/or bibliographic metadata are distributed,
they should be accompanied by a DOI link that points back to the individual
full text article or book chapter.  Further, the output should include a
creative commons proprietary notice "(C) Some rights reserved.  This work
is distributed under the terms of the CC-BY-NC 4.0Š"  Text and data mining
svcs online may be accessed by vendors or other third parties retained by
the subscriber only with the express permission of publisher and for the
index and/or process information purposes of the subscriber"

I would be most interested in hearing from any of you as to what you would
suggest (or have successfully negotiated) be modified, struck, added, etc.,
in this language to best serve the interests of the institution and its
researchers.  Perhaps we can begin to develop some standard language that
all of us can use as we move forward in this emerging area.

Please respond directly to me (contact below) and I will summarize the
findings anonymously for the list.

Thank you,

Karen Rupp-Serrano
University of Oklahoma Libraries