From:
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2018 19:43:40 -0400
From: "Hinchliffe, Lisa W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 20:19:21 +0000

End of the world? Probably not. Create a lot of work for you? Yes/Maybe.
Depends in part if you are already managing your resources through a
SAML-based access provider (e.g., Shibboleth, OpenAthens, etc.). If you
currently rely on EZproxy/a proxy server alone, this would be a substantial
change and possibly also raise privacy concerns (my essay on this:
https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2018/01/16/what-
will-you-do-when-they-come-for-your-proxy-server-ra21/).

FWIW, workload-wise, it seems to depends in part on on the publisher/vendor
- some seem to have no problem supporting the protocol and others are more
... challenged. One librarian shared a set of her experiences with four
databases/vendors with me awhile back. One platform they couldn't get to
work after almost a year and finally stopped trying; another was 3 months
in process and another 2 at the time of my discussion. The 4th vendor
set-up worked with only a few weeks of back/forth.

At my own institution, I'm not responsible for setting up the system but I
have been the person who requests the set-up to our eresources team. Some
set-ups happen very quickly and at least one is months since I made the
request. I do not know why the different lengths of time.

Hope this is useful....

Lisa

--

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
Professor/ Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction