From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2017 19:54:34 -0500
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 03:28:09 +0000

> The full ruling in this case is interesting.  For one thing, the standard
the Court

> used in deciding to issue a preliminary injunction is quite low.  They
acknowledge

> that they are using a standard that is more deferential to the FTC than
would be

> the case if the plaintiff seeking the PI was not a federal agency.

But isn’t that exactly what the law (specifically, 15 U.S.C. § 53(b).
Section 13(b) of the FTC Act) requires in this case? It’s not like the
Court just unilaterally decided to apply a lower standard, is it?

> Essentially they accepted the assertions made by the FTC as fact.

Well, no – the Court’s order (which can be found at http://bit.ly/2AHYA8b)
indicates that the FTC provided extensive evidence, not just assertions.
Statements to this effect include:

* “The evidence produced by the FTC demonstrates that Defendants engaged in
probable misrepresentations regarding journal publishing.”

* “The FTC has provided evidence that Defendants’ peer review practices, in
numerous instances, took a matter of days and contained no comments or
substantive feedback.”

* “The FTC has also submitted evidence demonstrating that Defendants
misrepresent the ‘impact factor’ of their journals (i.e. the number of
citations in other reputable journals).”

* “The FTC has submitted evidence that Defendants misleadingly represent
that their publications are indexed in well- known, reputable indexing
services.”

> So OMICS had very little room to defend itself.

Not so. According to the order, OMICS was given the opportunity to respond
to the FTC’s claims and to provide counterevidence on its behalf, and it
did so. However, again according to the order, “the FTC has substantively
responded to this evidence and demonstrated the numerous flaws and
inaccuracies in Defendants’ representations. The Court therefore finds that
the evidence in the record is sufficient to support a preliminary
conclusion that Defendants made misrepresentations regarding their journal
publishing.”

It sounds pretty reasonable to me – but I’m no attorney. What would you say
are the flaws in the Court’s reasoning, Kevin?

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

Desk: (801) 587-9989

Cell: (801) 721-1687