From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 17:21:43 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 07:57:15 -0400

I don't think there is the symmetry between the two cases David Groenewegen
cites as he seems to imply.  But before explaining why, we should not be
surprised that any commercial venture presents information in a way that
serves its interests.  Surely anyone growing up in a market economy knows
that.  So we discount things that sales people tell us as a matter of
course.

If subscription-based publications were simply adding articles to boost
prices, then we would see that reflected in eroding impact factors.  My
experience is that traditional publishers more often have the opposite
discussion, that is, whether to increase the rejection rate in order to
improve impact factors.  This is because market forces demand quality
publications.  This is the real virtue of the subscription model:  it
demands competition based on editorial quality, as libraries, with limited
budgets, will cancel everything else.

The virtues of Gold OA are many, but this model is indeed subject to
manipulation.  This is precisely what Jeffrey Beall's work addresses.  But
we have seen even non-manipulative alterations of editorial regimes in OA
publishing.  Consider the development of PLoS ONE, which uses a different
editorial strategy from the PLoS flagship journals.  At PLoS the alteration
of the editorial protocol changed the acceptance rate of papers, which has
turned out to be highly profitable.

At this point the conversation breaks down into an argument (irresolvable,
in my opinion) over whether the community-managed post-publication peer
review of PLoS ONE is better than, inferior to, or simply different from
the editorial policies of traditional publications.  I subscribe to the
"different from" school, but there is no end of argument over this.

I think it's a red herring to try to demonstrate equivalency between
traditional and OA forms of publication.  These are different systems; they
have different characteristics.  Different people will make different
determinations, and these determinations will vary depending on context.  I
much prefer the NY Times to Reddit, but I dip into Reddit from time to
time.

Joe Esposito