From:
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2012 18:55:11 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 12:51:27 +0100

I am puzzled by some of Kevin's statements. All publishers reading this list
will know of many times when they are alerted to plagiarism by the author of
an article and are expected to take action. I hope he is not claiming that
the emotive anecdote is representative of author attitudes - though he seems
to suggest it is.

Publishers will also know that they are very very unlikely to sue (this is
very much the last resort) but do get retractions or suchlike by pressure -
which is what the authors want. It takes up a lot of time. Note that I am
not saying that they need copyright to do this.

There are all sorts of reasons why publishers need copyright or exclusive
rights. One obvious one is they are asked to undertake that this is their
relationship with the authors in downstream contracts with aggregators (for
example).

I assume Elsevier is being picked on because they make a lot of money and
are the scapegoat but I would be interested to know how what they do in
relation to asking for copyright is different from what learned society
publishers (owned by academics) do when they ask for copyright or exclusive
rights. As an academic author I do not feel I am involved in a tug of war. I
can just ignore mandates. I can just choose a different publisher. I am sure
I am not the only one.

Anthony