From:
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2019 18:57:16 -0400
From: Angela Maranville <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 20:12:41 +0000

Hi Andrew,

I see your point regarding usage. However, the vast majority of our
cuts were “Big Deals” and did not impact small publishers. Nor did we
blindly follow the data, which often discounts usage by the humanities
and smaller departments. Our cuts were driven by dramatic budget
reductions, were painful for everyone involved, and were not made
lightly.

Concerning SciHub access and downloads from campus networks, I have no
idea. This would be a question for our campus ITS. And as yet, SciHub
is not providing COUNTER reports. I also don’t have a number for how
many times we have been hacked but I do know our proxy is much more
secure as we have moved to dual authentication.

Angie

From: Andrew Pitts <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 09:14:14 +0000

Dear Angie,

You mention here usage and Cost per Use. If a lot of usage is going
directly to Sci-Hub and ResearchGate, your CPU will increase and you
may think about the deal you have differently. If the CPU was $0.25
cents per download or $100 per download, they would be treated
differently.

Do you allow access to Sci-Hub from your University network? Do you
know how many times you bring articles down from Sci-Hub into your
network? Do you receive COUNTER usage reports from Sci-Hub?

How many times has your University been hacked by Sci-Hub where they
steal credentials from your users and download an article to place it
for free on sci-Hub? They are doing this because there is a huge
demand for Sci-Hub to have the latest articles available immediately.

I deal with agents globally and have been told by many agents working
outside of the USA and Europe, that the medium to smaller Universities
are not renewing subs with some smaller publishers because their
patrons are going to Sci-hub. This is for the smaller niche society
publishers, who may have a slightly higher CPU. How awful would it be
if many small societies were to have their deals cancelled by
Universities because most of the usage went to Sci-Hub and
ResearchGate, and their CPU increased to a level that made you want to
cancel it?

I truly believe Sci-Hub and ResearchGate are inevitably part of the
decision making process, purely because they make it impossible to
track usage and  nobody really knows how many downloads are from their
University.  The 400,000 downloads per day that Sci-Hub report are
coming mostly from the USA and Western European Universities, as we
saw from the anonymous usage that was given to Science magazine in the
past.

Andrew

Andrew Pitts
Managing Director
PSI Ltd
Oxford, UK
www.psiregistry.org
Tel: +44-1865-849514
Cell:+44-7818451926

Please follow us on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ip_registry
https://twitter.com/PubSolutionsInt

From: Angela Maranville <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 16:21:35 +0000

Agreed! During our negotiations and subsequent unbundling last year,
neither ResearchGate or SciHub were part of the decision. Instead we
focused on many of the metrics discussed below, such as cost, usage,
CPU, plus number of WVU citations and articles to drive the decision
making as well implemented more robust ILL practices to provide access
to unsubscribed resources.

Best,

Angie

Angela R. Maranville, MA, MLIS
Director, Knowledge Access & Resource Management
Assistant University Librarian
West Virginia University Libraries
(304)293-2440 office

[SNIP]