From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:23:22 -0500
From: Tracy Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:26:35 +0000

PRESS RELEASE: January 15th 2018

Renew Publishing Consultants announce supporter list for “How Readers
Discover Content in Scholarly Publications, 2018”.

Renew Publishing Consultants are delighted to announce that 13 organisations
have agreed to support their latest research identifying how readers across
the world discover academic content.  This will be the 5th large-scale
research project Tracy Gardner and Simon Inger have carried out on this
topic since 2004. The 2015 research focussed on journal and book content
discovery, with more than 40,000 respondents, and was supported by leading
academic publishers, societies, and intermediaries. The latest research will
take on the very contentious issue of measuring perceptions of Sci-Hub and
ResearchGate in discovery and delivery, and will also ask about how readers
discover academic video content.

Supporters of the research are:
• American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
• American Psychological Association
• Annual Reviews
• Cambridge University Press
• OECD
• Public Library of Science (PLOS)
• Royal Society of Chemistry
• SAGE Publishing
• The Company of Biologists
• The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
• The JAMA Network/American Medical Association (AMA)
• TrendMD
• Wiley

Tracy Gardner said “We are delighted there has been such a lot of interest
in our research. We have welcomed back a number of publishers who supported
our previous work but are also looking forward to working with publishers
who haven’t been involved before. We would not be able to carry out this
work without their support.”

Simon Inger said “Discovery is still one of the major issues facing the
research community. Key to overcoming some of the challenges we face is
understanding in detail how readers discover academic content. This research
aims to plug some of the gaps in our knowledge and we look forward to
publishing our work later on in the year.”

The research report and the research data will be made freely available to
the community. There is still time to get involved if you would like to take
part. The 2015 report can be found at http://renew.pub/survey15

http://renewpublishingconsultants.com/news/

Tracy Gardner
CONSULTANT
Renew Publishing Consultants

We used to be Simon Inger Consulting! We re-launched in September with a new
brand and a new look, and are now called Renew Publishing Consultants. We
would like to reassure you that apart from the name change it is business as
usual!

+44 (0) 7884 438007
www.renewpublishingconsultants.com
Renew staff will be at the following forthcoming conferences:
Sam is attending APE 2018, Berlin, January 16-17, 2018
Simon will be at ALA Midwinter 2018, Denver, February 9–12, 2018
Julie is attending ALPSP University Press Redux Conference 2018, London,
13–14 February 2018