From:
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:38:15 -0400
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 15:01:34 -0700

With thanks to several, esp. Ronald Snijder of OAPEN.  Here's what I have
learned.

1.  Once in the OAPEN/DOAB database, you can filter by "Collection" or
"Grantor" and see KU items (over 4,000 so far).  I do not yet see a way to
filter and sort by subject area, but it may be there and my efforts have
simply failed.  How the average user would know to execute such an OAPEN
search, I cannot tell.

2.  In our online catalog, a search on the exact string "Knowledge
Unlatched" brings up 492 items, or about ten percent of what's out there.
There is not an intuitive way to get to the OAPEN/DOAB page for a search
within our catalog (i.e., I haven't found one).  But a search of our
databases on the same phrase comes up null.  May I call this a limited
functionality?

3.  I realize that what I am probably looking for is something akin to a
publisher's catalog, provided by KU and organized by them to maximum
marketing and information effect.  Yes, KU is not a publisher; but yes, KU
is very like a publisher and has the same interest in making known what
books it has opened that a publisher has in making known what it has
contracted, edited, and formally published.  That feels as if it would be
relatively easy for KU to do and would help scholars, librarians, and
potential subscribers understand and appreciate KU and its mission and
achievements.

I said in my first note that I felt strongly I must be missing something
and it turns out I was missing the DOAB searchability, which I think is
still quite limited.  I may be missing other things and would be glad to be
set straight.  And it would be interesting to hear KU's thoughts about
discovery and discoverability of their titles.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU