From:
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:46:32 -0400
From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:44:50 -0400

This Annual Survey is definitely worth a detour

*OPEN ACCESS CHARGES – CONTINUED CONSOLIDATION AND INCREASESMARCH 19, 2024
 |    DAN POLLOCK AND HEATHER STAINES*

This month we look at the latest data about Article Processing Charges
(APCs). Per article pricing is a fundamental building block for all paid
publishing models, so our review provides an invaluable insight into how
costs of open access continue to evolve. This year, prices in general are
increasing, some significantly. Important nuances in the distribution of
prices continue to affect the value and cost of paid publishing models.

*Background*

Each year we survey the list Article Processing Charges (APCs) of a sample
of major and significant publishers. Covering over 20,000 titles, and going
back to 2016, our data set represents one of the most comprehensive reviews
of open access pricing.

To compare like for like, we analyze non-discounted, CC BY charges. We take
a snapshot at the end of every January, so we can track yearly changes
while controlling for the different times of year that publishers may
update prices.

*Headline Changes*

Going into 2024, we have seen significant price increases.

* Fully OA list prices across our sample have risen by around 9.5% compared
with those set a year ago.
* Hybrid list prices have risen by an average of 4.2% over the same period.
* Maximum APCs for Fully OA journals remain at $8,900.
* Maximum APCs for Hybrid journals now top out at $12,290 (up $600 from
last year).
* The last big jump in prices happened in 2020-2021, when the high-impact
journals started offering OA options for the first time. This served to
drag up average price increases. They subsequently fell back to averages.

*Underlying trends continue*

* There are almost 3x more Hybrid journals than Fully OA ones. Hybrid
journals follow (or, rather, set) a similar pattern to the market overall.
* On average, Fully OA prices are around 62% of Hybrid prices. But, after a
few years of widening, the gap is showing signs of narrowing – it was 58%
last year but 63% the year before that.
* Around 31% of our sample of Fully OA journals charge no APCs.
* Price rises vary significantly by discipline. Arts & Humanities and
Social Sciences have seen particularly large average increases, especially
in Fully OA journal prices.

More here:

https://deltathink.com/news-views-open-access-charges-continued-consolidation-and-increases-3/