From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2024 23:27:23 -0400
From: Ari Belenkiy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 00:31:31 -0700

Three people addressed my query and I extend my gratitude to them.

On the request of the editor, the librarians came back to me with the
following clarifications:

   - *Off-course* isn't managed by the Libraries. If it was in our suite of
   journals that we host in our repository, Scholars Archive, then we could
   assign DOIs for each work published.
   - Related to the above: Since your work isn't in our repository, we
   aren't responsible for the long-term maintenance and preservation of the
   work and its associated metadata, so we can't mint a DOI on your behalf.
   That responsibility falls to the journal. My sense is that the journal
   doesn't have the budget for a Crossref membership.
   - As a workaround, we offered that you consider sharing your work in a
   generalist repository, like Zenodo. The advantage is that this is a
   well-established generalist repository, there is no fee associated with
   deposit, and the work would get a DOI at the point of deposit.

Thus the best advice I received was to apply for DOI with Zenodo, which I
did but ... which (Zenodo's DOI) seems not to be recognized by ResearchGate
or Kudos.

I am wondering whether there is a rivalry between various depositories,
like Crossref and Zendodo, for storing new publications? Pure business?

And what about the said "suite of journals" - does each university/library
have its own "suite"? The richer the college the richer suite?:)

Ari Belenkiy

Vancouver BC
Canada