From:
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 12:47:23 -0400
From: Xiaotian Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 15:28:43 -0500

Journal title: Psychological Reports (0033-2941)

Publisher: Sage

Other info: subscription not through a package, lost archives of 44 years
(1955-1998) with no notification

We all see loss of archives sometimes due to journal's ownership change or
package change, but this one is outstanding, because my library started
subscription with Sage years ago and Sage still owns it.  This journal is
not part of a package deal.  My library has 2 Sage packages (One Premier
package and one back file package), but this journal is not on the package,
but rather, is through individual title subscription.

Years ago I set up in our OpenURL link resolver that our access is from
1955 (vol 1, no 1) to present.  But today, a user reported that a request
for a 1976 article was denied.  I had a look and realized that our access
now starts from 1999. That's loss of 44 years of archive.

Should there be a movement to stop publishers from doing this?

---
Xiaotian Chen
Electronic Services Librarian / Associate Professor
Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois, USA.  1-309-677-2839
http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~chen/