From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2018 17:48:22 -0400
From: Oya Rieger <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 4:33 PM
To: ARXIV-SUPPORT-UPDATES-L <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues,

I’m writing to inform you that after 17 years of steady growth under Cornell
University Library <https://www.library.cornell.edu/> (CUL), arXiv will
move to Cornell Computing and Information Science <https://cis.cornell.edu/>
(CIS) in January 2019. Please see the press release
<https://www.cis.cornell.edu/arxiv-looks-future-move-cornell-cis>.

As far as researchers and arXiv users are concerned, the stewardship
transition will be seamless and unnoticeable. Although the arXiv team is
currently housed at the Library, the operation is independent of the
Library’s organizational, technical, and financial infrastructure. The
arXiv team will maintain the same configuration and will continue to
benefit from the expertise of the CUL staff, especially in the areas of
metadata, copyright, and scholarly communication policies and best
practices.

The engagement of member libraries in arXiv’s governance has been essential
to arXiv’s success, and we will continue to strengthen the robust alliance
we’ve built with our 227 library partners. The arXiv membership system is
instrumental in leveraging the expertise and commitment of librarians for
arXiv’s provision of an essential public infrastructure in support of open
science. Member libraries will continue to participate in the arXiv’s
governance through the Member Advisory Board
<https://confluence.cornell.edu/display/arxivpub/Member+Advisory+Board>,
which provided invaluable advice to our team as we were assessing arXiv’s
stewardship needs and the prospect of moving the operation to CIS.

The transition FAQ <https://confluence.cornell.edu/x/qspyFQ> contains more
information about the move. We will be holding three conference calls to
talk about the transition process, open to everyone interested in
arXiv: conference
call schedule & sign-up
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UTcxF-CpF1KVAPC41T4RC-sLhHGGZqIMpEI87pGWrVU/edit>
for Sept 17 noon, Sept 19 11am, Sept 25 6pm EDT

I want to thank each one of you for recognizing arXiv’s importance and
significance for open science through your contributions to the service’s
sustainability. We know your continuing engagement will ensure a bright
future for arXiv.

Warm regards,

Oya

Oya Y. Rieger, Ph.D. | arXiv Program Director | Cornell University Library