From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:08:32 -0400
From: Annika Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 11:20 AM

**Apologies for cross-posting**

Further to my message back in March, the DOAJ community consultation is now
live, and we hope that many of you would like to help shaping the future of
the service by sparing 10 minutes over a cup of coffee or tea to fill in
our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DOAJconsultation

DOAJ has commissioned Gold Leaf to consult with the community to ensure
that the data collected by the service is relevant, necessary, and useful.
All global stakeholders and users of DOAJ, regardless of location, are
encouraged to participate in the survey, which can be found here
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DOAJconsultation>.

The survey is also available in French
<https://fr.surveymonkey.com/r/DOAJquestionnaire>, Spanish
<https://es.surveymonkey.com/r/DOAJcuestionario> and Portuguese
<https://pt.surveymonkey.com/r/DOAJquestionario>.

The directory indexes more than 20,400 journals. A journal’s entry in the
directory may contain up to 43 different pieces of data, including 15
links, that have been checked and verified by hand. With this consultation,
DOAJ would like to review how to maximise its impact with limited resources.

Gold Leaf will collect feedback with the survey and then follow up with
individual interviews for a select group of volunteers. The survey should
take about 10-15 minutes to complete.

DOAJ and Gold Leaf will publicly share the headline results from this
consultation and email them to each participant who has asked for them.

All information provided will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Neither you nor your organisation will be identified in the report or other
outputs from the survey.

The survey will close on Friday, 6 May 2024.

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Thank you for contributing to the improvement of DOAJ!

*Annika Bennett*

*Gold Leaf*

https://goldleaf.co.uk

 *DOAJ commissions a new metadata survey*

DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) has appointed Gold Leaf, a small
consultancy based jointly in the UK and the USA, to conduct a thorough
survey of the journal-level metadata it collects.

Currently, DOAJ indexes more than 20,300 journals. Every entry is checked
manually. The new survey will seek feedback from all stakeholders worldwide
– researchers, librarians, funders, professional organisations and industry
support groups – on how they use the metadata DOAJ collects and displays
and how it might be streamlined.  Gold Leaf will use an online survey as
the primary research vehicle and follow up the main survey with individual
interviews.

Dominic Mitchell, DOAJ, said: “We’re delighted to work with Gold Leaf on
what will be a cornerstone piece of work for us this year. Our stakeholder
communities are key in the continuing success of DOAJ and we want to ensure
that we remain reliable and trustworthy to them and all users.”

Linda Bennett of Gold Leaf said: “Gold Leaf feels privileged to have been
chosen for this initiative, which will make a significant contribution to
the Open Access project across the world.”

The survey will be launched in early April. It will be publicised widely,
both on social media and through direct communication via DOAJ’s and Gold
Leaf’s many contacts. Gold Leaf will also actively seek out responses from
new contacts and welcomes direct approaches from all stakeholders who would
like to participate.

To receive the link to the survey or for more information about the
project, please sign up here <https://uk.surveymonkey.com/r/doajsignup> or
contact Gold Leaf:

Annika Bennett [log in to unmask] (based in the UK)

Linda Bennett  [log in to unmask] (based in the UK)

Brigitte Shull [log in to unmask] (based in the USA).

DOAJ and Gold Leaf anticipate that the work will have been completed by the
end of July 2024. The results and recommendations will be published soon
afterwards.

*Annika Bennett*

*Gold Leaf*

phone: +44 (0) 1480 839006